Legalisation Home

Legalisation ? – Get your document legalised at the F.C.O.

You will need the legalisation of documents for use abroad, The Hague Apostille Convention 1961 requires legalisation by the affixing of an “apostille” by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and, in the case of countries which are not signatories to the Convention, for the document to be further legalised at their Embassy or Consulate. The F.C.O. say:-

  • You can get certain official UK documents ‘legalised’ by asking the Legalisation Office to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a UK public official.
  • You might need to do this if an official in another country has asked you to provide a UK document and they’ve said it must be legalised.
  • The Legalisation Office will check the document, including whether the signature, stamp or seal is genuine. They’ll legalise the document by attaching a stamped official certificate (an ‘apostille’) to it.
  • You cannot get documents issued outside the UK legalised using this service – get them legalised in the country they were issued.

The F.C.O. has it’s own set of bureaucratic “rules” and requirements. We can help you navigate this maze., and if there is a problem will usually be able to resolve it on your behalf.

We can further assist you in that we attend at the F.C.O. Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes daily and the documents we submit are legalised by the next working day, even in peak periods, in other words we offer a two working day turnaround!

We also work with agents in London who will attend at the Embassies for you.

Please go to our Order page to start to send your documents to us in 3 easy steps.

Our fees start at £60.00 for one document inclusive of Recorded Delivery return postage and the F.C.O. fee of £30.00.

Your document may first of all need to be certified by a Notary Public; a lawyer qualified, licensed and insured to deal with foreign documents. If you need one click on the link “Find a Notary” on the top menu.